Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Congratulations!

Monday Sergio received this little letter in the mail.
...I couldn't wait for him to get home to open it...
No, but seriously, I had to open it before he got home.
When it first arrived I thought that it was going to be a request for more information/evidence.
I was ecstatic to see the 'Congratulations' at the beginning.

After 3 years of paper work, lots and lots of money ($590 just for this last extension), and quite a bit of worrying, we don't have to worry anymore!
Sergio was granted his 
PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS!
Or in other words, his green card won't ever expire and he is able to travel however he would like and still come back into the US without any problems.

This whole process has been so much harder than I would have ever imagined when we got married.
I don't know what we would have done it if we would have had kids while we were in Argentina.
It has given me a greater appreciation for the whole immigration conversation.
I didn't know it was so hard to immigrate legally.

Now his final step is applying for citizenship which includes a lot of paperwork, another $680, an English test and the well known citizenship/US History test.

I am so grateful that we were able to come here 3 years ago and that everything worked out as smoothly as it did.
I am so grateful to my parents that were willing to pay a bunch of the fees when we first got here and for my mommy for all of her help with millions of different papers and forms. 
We really know that the way that everything worked out, and with so few problems has truly been a miracle.

We love the United States and we are grateful for the opportunity to live, work and enjoy the blessings of living here.

3 comments:

Saimi said...

Congratulations!!!!! Actually congratulations all around, I just came from reading your mom's blog and I'm so happy for her three year anniversary!

Janiece said...

I am so grateful that you are here too. This is such a weight lifted.
Love you guys!

SAYDA said...

I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations!!!