Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sick Baby...Again?

Didn't I just do this blog?
It turns out that Hazel has had one ear infection right after another since August.
One before we went to Argentina.
It was still there when we got back.
Then last week I took her in for a cough that wouldn't go away and it turns out that her infection had actually got worst.
She is such a good baby, I would never have guessed that she was hurting.
It does, however, explain why she hasn't been sleeping very well.
After 4 rounds of antibiotics it was time to get her into an ear, nose and throat specialist.
At our appointment on Tuesday he strongly suggested that Hazel get tubes.
Ear infections are when there is fluid build up behind the eardrum and the fluid doesn't have a way to drain.
During the operation they make a small incision and insert a tube so that the infection can drain.
They didn't waste any time and had her scheduled for surgery that same Thursday.

Today was her appointment.
The hardest part was that I wasn't allowed to let her eat from 3am until after the procedure.
She woke up at 4:30 and STARVED!
I just tried to hold her, give her toys, turn on music...
Until we got to the doctors and she was out like a light.
When she did wake up she was in a pretty good mood.
A few minutes later they came and took my sweet baby from my arms.
She was so interested with the nurses cool hairnet that I don't even think she knew I was gone.
I was honestly very relaxed during the whole time she was gone.
I knew this was something that was going to help her feel better and I knew it was going to be worth it.
About 5 minutes later the doctor came in and told me that everything went wonderful. There had been a bunch of thick fluids from behind her eardrum that they had to suction out and that she should be able to hear better now. 
It was a relief.
A few minutes later they brought her back to me, still asleep.
It took her a while to wake back up.
I don't think it was the anesthesia at all...she was just tired from not sleeping all night long.  : )
When she woke up she never cried.
Although you could tell she was a little zonked.
She couldn't figure out what the blinking light was on her foot.
Once she woke up they checked her heart rate and oxygen levels one more time and sent us on our way.
 I am so proud of our little girl.
I just love every bit of her.
And if she has been this sick lately, I can't wait to see what she is like when she feels well! 


Anonymous said...

Es una niña muy valiente! (El tío Juan)

Janiece said...

She is such an amazing little girl.
and you were a simi-calm mama. I was very proud of both of you.

Malissa said...

Aw she is SO cute! I'm glad everything went well!

SAYDA said...

What a little angel. I'm glad that is done with, and I'm sure you are too. What a brave little one.

Kara D. said...

I am glad all went well. I remember when we took Uriah to get his eyelid lifted so that he could see better. That surgery was about an hour and a half and I was very anxious. After it was over they said it went well, but when he woke up from the medicine he cried and cried and cried because he was in pain and he couldn't shut his eye. I cried pretty hard and Jared had to hold him to calm him down because he could tell mommy was unhappy. Hooray for Hazel!