Tuesday, July 5, 2011

This is America.

A few days ago Sergio made a comment that really touched my heart.
Our conversation was short but profound.
He quietly mentioned that he was really excited for the 4th of July.

My obvious response was,
"Oh yeah for the fireworks, right?"
He rebutted,
"No, I am just so grateful that our daughter was born here and gets to grow up here."

I am also grateful that our Gringanada was able to be born here.


I am grateful that she is going to receive all the blessings of being a US citizen.
I am also extremely grateful for my husband who was willing to leave his career to come here and start all over again, for leaving his family and for accepting mine, and for never complaining about that sacrifice.
I am grateful that he was able to receive a visa, come here legally, be issued his Green card and within a few days have a good job.
Each step has been a challenging process, but it all has been possible because of the wonderful country we live in.
I am grateful that he can come here and open a bank account or even rent an apartment without any problems...all things that while I was in Argentina, I had a hard time doing.
Those are the little things that we take advantage of.
Sergio had made another comment a few days ago that I thought was interesting.
For the record, I am very protective of my husband.
I had a fear that he would be looked down upon or treated as second class because of being an immigrant and his lack of  communication skills.
When he was talking about his job the other day he mentioned that one of the things he likes here is that no one makes him feel like he is less important as they are.
Right now he is working as a groundskeeper at a local hospital and none of the doctors treat him as less.
(Except for one that is rude to everyone and ironically from Bolivia.)
They always say hi to him, and one even offered him Gatorade on a particularly warm day.
That is America.
The beginning of June Sergio's brother and sister in law came to visit us from Buenos Aires.
He couldn't get over how courteous the people were here.
If they were shopping and someone passed in front of them there was almost always a whispered "excuse me." Their waitresses always made sure they felt welcome.
and
Everyone seemed to be friendly.
I am so grateful that they felt that way.
I know that there are days that I don't.
But the fact that this was one of the things that stuck out to them made me proud to be an American.

Another experience that I had this week was going to the cemetery with my mom on Sunday night.  We put flowers and flags on a few of our families graves.
My mom noticed a new headstone made out of Oakley stone and we wanted to go look at it.
Immediately you could tell that it was a headstone of  two Soldiers who were Killed in Action.


I sat down in the grass and started to read their stories and how they willingly risked their lives for me, my husband, and my child.  They didn't know me.  They didn't need to.  Yet they were willing to pay that ultimate sacrifice.  

We can criticize our leaders.
We can whine about our justice system.
We can debate tax cuts.

But all said and done, with our strengths and our weaknesses,
we are America.

5 comments:

Janiece said...

Wonderful post Sunshine! I love how you see things and the way you can so perfectly put it all into words. I love you.

Malissa said...

Beautifully said Kira! Your family is SO adorable and I am grateful to be your friend. Happy 4th!

Kara D. said...

I love this post. You really know how to speak from the heart :)

Kayleen said...

You are such a wise woman! I love you and your family!!!

Lene said...

You have such an amazing way with words.

You are very wise young grasshopper.