Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Two Cents: Osama Bin Laden

I am sure at this point that everyone has their own opinion about the death of Osama Bin Laden.
It is such a relief to know that such a terrible man is dead, and therefore no longer a threat to our country or anyone one else's.

But on the flip side, it is hard to celebrate the death of anyone.

Last night I was reading in the Book of Mormon in Alma chapter 48.
In Alma there is an amazing warrior named Moroni.  The best description of him says,

"And Moroni was a strong and a mighty man; he was a man of a perfect understanding; yea, a man that did not delight in bloodshed; a man whose soul did joy in the liberty and the freedom of his country, and his brethren from bondage and slavery"
"Yea, a man whose heart did swell with thanksgiving to his God, for the many privileges and blessings which he bestowed upon his people; a man who did labor exceedingly for the welfare and safety of his people.
"Yea, and he was a man who was firm in the faith of Christ, and he had asworn with an oath to defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion, even to the loss of his blood."
"...If all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men."  (Alma 48:11-13;17) 
He sounds like a pretty amazing man to me. 
Moroni was a Nephite, a group of people who believed in God.  In the last few chapters they have had a lot of problems with their enemies, the Laminites.  Instead of going to war against the Laminites Moroni helps the Nephite people prepared their cities.
All of the boarders of their city were strengthened by forts, fox hole like walls and stone walls in case of an attack.  It even mentions that in the weak parts of the city, they made sure that were even more men standing guard so that they could,

  "...support their liberty, their lands, their wives, and their children, and their peace, and that they might live unto the Lord their God, and that they might maintain that which was called by their enemies the cause of Christians." (verse 10)

For four years they didn't have any problems in their city. But:
"...they were compelled reluctantly to contend with their brethren, the Lamanites." (Verse 21)
Okay now this is the part that I really related too...

"Now, they were sorry to take up arms against the Lamanites, because they did not delight in the shedding of blood; yea, and this was not all—they were sorry to be the means of sending so many of their brethren out of this world into an eternal world, unprepared to meet their God.
"Nevertheless, they could not suffer to lay down their lives, that their wives and their children should be massacred by the barbarous cruelty of those who were once their brethren..."  (Verses 23 and 24)
So...basically what I am trying to say is that if you are like me, and are so glad that such a bad man has been killed and thus saving the lives of thousands upon thousands of innocent people, but at the same time you feel bad because murder isn't the best way to handle any situation...
There comes a time when you have to take action.
(If your desires aren't because you want revenge,)
but because you are trying to protect your peace,  freedom, your wives and your children...you have nothing to feel bad about except the fact that that person is being sent to be judged of God without being prepared.
That's what I learned yesterday.
I know it's true.

If you would like to learn more about the Book of Mormon watch this:

or you can visit
and request your own copy of The Book of Mormon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so wise. I am glad I am your friend and can read your blog :) You teach me so much! ~Kara
(I am not logged into my account so I wanted to tell you who this was!)

Lene said...

How did you get so wise?

I was so uncomfortable with the celebrating, but not that he was gone. I felt like I was alone feeling that way. It's nice to know I wasn't.

Janiece said...

Kira,
You never stop amazing me.
Your blog was perfect, matter of fact I just linked my blog over to yours.
You put how I was feeling into perfect words.

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing this. Moroni is such a perfect example of how we all should be.

Walt and Eileen said...

Kira, great way to liken the scriptures to our day and our lives. Love, Los Petersen - Walt y Eileen