Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's a Good Day to Celebrate

And I'll tell you why.
A year ago today my mom received a new heart.
Pretty cool right?
I'm sure you can understand why that might be important, but what most people don't know is exactly how bad my mom had got.

People with heart disease don't have any obvious outward signs of being sick.
For example, unlike cancer, they don't loose their hair while undergoing treatment.
The common eye can't tell when someone has heart disease.

My mom's old heart was only had a 14% ejection fraction. Ejection fraction is a measurement of the percentage of blood leaving your heart each time it contracts.  In a normal person it should be between 55% and 70% (Mayo Clinic).

She slept all the time because she didn't have energy to do anything else.
Her doctors decided that it was time to get her on a transplant list.
Most people wait on a transplant list for several months before they find a suitable donor.
A donor is chosen by the weight and height of the person needing a transplant.

The doctors had suggested that she recieve an artificial heart within the next few months, otherwise she wouln't have lived for another year.
We are so glad that we didn't have to wait too long and that today she's not getting a metal heart.

Needless to say,
Today is a day to celebrate.
I am celebrating that my mom is still alive.
I am celebrating that I get tired before she does.
I am celebrating that my kids will get to know their grandma.
I am celebrating life, family and miracles.

So in memory of today,
Here is a video and a few pictures I found while looking through her cell phone yesterday at her 1 year heart check-up.
This video was taken on the way up the elevator to her room.
This is my mommy and me.  We just got to her room and she was getting ready to change into her cute hospital dress.
Four days after her transplant she walked 2 miles.  She was literally walking laps around the hospital.
It was super amazing since that would have been IMPOSSIBLE a week before.

This is us getting ready to leave the hospital.
She only had to stay 10 days! How awesome is that?
If you want to know more about my mom and what she has been doing post-transplant you need to check out her blog at http://www.onemomentatatime-niece.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Lene said...

You forgot that when blood wasn't flowing to her brain she had a horrible memory.

It's amazing the difference a year...and a heart will make.

Janiece said...

Thanks sunshine, what a sweet post.
I love you and am so glad you were here with us.