Friday, April 8, 2011

Mission Argentina Salta - Part III

My mission started to come to an end when I was transferred to
San Miguel de Tucuman, Tucuman
This turned out to be the most rewarding part of my mission.  I really learned and applied the lessons that I had learned throughout my mission and I had an awesome companion that showed me how.
This is the hilarious, lovely, obedient, amazing
Hermana Melody Ream
I love her.
She is from Orem, Utah and we quickly found a lot in common.
Like...normally celebrating Christmas in the winter instead of the death of a Tucuman summer.
We found really fun ways to teach like this fun Christmas Booth:
We sang and played the violin to get people to come and learn more.
We also bought sidewalk chalk and drew the Plan of Salvation in the streets.  It caught a lot of people's attention and we had a lot of fun doing it.
You can learn more about our purpose on Earth in this video:
We made an awesome team and together we met people that in the end have become my eternal friends.
Selva's daughter (on the right) had been baptized with Hermana Ream before I arrived to the area.  We continued teaching Selva and she was then baptized. I loved her quite character and her delicious food!!
While we were knocking doors we also found Julio Salto and his family.  If you have ever heard me talk about Argentina, you have heard me talk about Julio.  Although he is really busy and hard to get a hold of now, he is still my very best friend.  I completely consider him family.  He is one of the most intelligent people I know.  It is a rarity that you can find someone that is a genius and humble at the same time, but Julio has the perfect equilibrium.  I will love him and his amazing children, Leo and Felipe, forever.
Hna Ream and my time together didn't seem long enough, but I think I learned what I needed to.
She is still the amazing-est in my eyes!

My last transfers were shared with Hermana Romina Aponte (Buenos Aires).
She is a super hard worker.  We worked double time and we saw the blessings for it. 
She is humble and an amazing teacher.  In fact, she is now teaching in the MTC (Mission Training Center) in Buenos Aires. 
We were able to teach Karen together.  She is a sweet little girl.  Although some of the concepts of the church were hard for her to understand, Hna Aponte was great at explaining everything in a simple way.

Also in our time together we received a reference to teach my Mama Ines!!

I actually can't find my disks of pictures from Jujuy or from Tuucman, these are pictures that were saved on my computer as well as pictures from when we went back to Argentina.  So this picture of my mama Ines is kind of small, but it is also one of my very favorites.

This is her daughter Belen.  Her son Jorge was also one of my very bestest friends.
Mama Ines listened to all we had to say and really wanted to be baptized, but she had to be married first.  It was a lot of work, but nothing is impossible. She was married and we even got to be there! It was a wonderful experience.  Her and Belen were then baptized.
Gladys & Marcelo also needed to be married before they could be baptized. Gladys had wanted to be baptized for years, but Marcelo was completely against it.  Marcelo's mom and little sister were already members of the church.  We began speaking to them at lunch. We talked about the power of repentance through the atonement of Jesus Christ. Marcelo knew it was exactly what he needed in his life at this time.  They were excited to get married and were baptized the next day.  They are the cutest little family!
We also taught the Gonzalez family. Lucia, Karen and Jonathan, were baptized the week after I got home.

Truly every day of my mission was a miracle.  I learned so much and I am a much better person because of the experiences I had there.
As my time as a missionary came to an end I could literally feel my heart breaking.  I didn't want to leave these people that I loved so much.  I loved the culture, the food, and the person that I had become.  I didn't want to leave any of it.
Either way, a sister's mission is for 18 months, and my time was up.  It was time for me to take the things that I had learned in my mission and apply them into my life as a "normal person."

Even though it was hard for me to leave...these moments totally made up for it!!!
 It's also hard to not get to see your family for a year and a half.
 It was nice to be welcomed home.
 And to meet my future sister in law.
I was happy.

I would have never imagined that I would be back in Argentina 4 months later, in fact, when I left I didn't think I was ever going to get to go back.
I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would be married, let alone to Sergio.
I can't believe that only 2 years later I have a beautiful baby girl.
It's amazing to me how often we only see what we want to see and we don't take time to see what our loving Heavenly Father has in store for us.
I am so grateful for these last 2 years.  I still learn something every day.  I still think about my mission every day. I still pray for the people I met while in Argentina...every day.
I know there will be new missions in my life.
In fact, I am starting one now as a mommy.  I can only but imagine what I am going to learn now.

Read Part I Here
Read Part II Here

Read how my husband's life was changed from the Salta Mission Here

1 comment:

Janiece said...

I am so glad that I had the honor of meeting so many of the amazing Hermanas and those you taught when we went to Argentina.
I totally understand why it was so hard for you to leave.
I love you Sunshine and the choice you made to serve a mission...we as a family were blessed because of it.
Love ya,
MOM