Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mark Your Calendars!

I love General Conference!
Ever since my mission I just count down the months until it's conference time again.
General Conference happens two times a year.
Once in April and again in October.
Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (and anyone else for that matter) get together in the Conference Center, in their homes, and in meetinghouses around the world to listen to prophets and apostles speak.
A prophet is a special man that has been called of God He has been given authority to convey special messages to Heavenly Father's children on the Earth. I am sure that you have heard about Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Isaiah. They were prophets.
When Jesus Christ was on the Earth He was kind of like a prophet, but a whole lot more since He is literally God's son.  Soon after Jesus Christ was sacrificed and had resurrected His apostles were also persecuted and many of them were killed.  The original church that Jesus Christ established started to be changed and there was no longer a prophet on the Earth.
Luckily, Heavenly Father loves his children so he called another prophet in 1820 and Jesus Christ's church was restored again on the Earth.
You can learn more about Joseph Smith and the restoration in this video:
I know that the same church that Jesus Christ established is on the Earth again, because like Joseph Smith, I also lacked wisdom and I asked of God in a prayer. I didn't see a vision or angels, but it doesn't mater because what I felt was even more powerful.  I know that anyone who wants to know can pray and also receive an answer for any question that they have.

That's why I love Conference!
Every April and every October I listen to conference with a personal question in my heart.
Then I listen for the answer.
Sometimes the answer doesn't always come in exactly what the people say, but also what I feel.
I love listening to Thomas S. Monson.  He's not just the prophet of the Mormon Church, but the prophet of the whole world!
Jesus Christ taught us to be aware of false prophets and then he taught that, "by their fruits ye shall know them." Prophets always testify of Jesus Christ, and that is exactly what President Monson does. Anyone that listens to him with an open heart will know that he is a prophet of God.

I hope that if you haven't seen or heard a conference before that you will mark your calender and that this can be the first time.
Or if this is your 181st time, I hope it is amazing.
Take this challenge.
Think of a question, it can be something simple or personal, pray about it, and I promise that you will receive an answer to your question. Promise.
You can find out more about the broadcasting of General Conference by clicking here.

Anyways, I started this blog just wanting to know what you love about conference, or what you have learned from a special conference. I hope you can leave a comment and share.

2 comments:

Kara D. said...

Love this post!

Lene said...

I love Conference. It seems that Spring puts me in a funk and April Conference always has something that I need to hear to make me pull out of it.