Friday, January 28, 2011

Diaper Monkey

One of my most bestest friends, Rachael, is due a couple days after me. 
Her baby shower theme was Baby's 1st.  I lucked out and got babies first diaper change.  I wanted to try something new.  After being inspired by the diaper cakes that I received at my shower I started to do some research and found diaper animals.
I couldn't really find instructions for them, but who is going to let a little detail like that get in the way of good old fashion creativity?
Here's the little guy.
He is made out of rolled diapers, then I used clear rubber bands to get everything to stick together.  All of the diapers are re-usable.
I tried to tape the head, arms, legs and tail onto the body.  The tape wouldn't stick.
It turns out that diaper companies don't really want you taping your child to anything.
Go figure.
So...They are rubber banded on too.
Luckily the tape at least stuck to the cloth on his diaper so I could get him to stay on the cardboard.
When I saw these cute socks I knew I wouldn't be passing them up...They couldn't be more perfect.
He also sported a nice pair of baby mittens to keep his little paws warm.
I found some googly eyes and a red button.
The ears are made out of the rest of a receiving blanket that I had used earlier to make this wipes holder.
I think it turned out cute, it's not perfect, there are some really crooked lines and  I hope she doesn't look too closely because you can definitely see dried hot glue around the edges.
Overall, it was a fun learning experience and I just had to share.

5 comments:

Kayleen said...

Soooooo cute! Nice Job!

Kara D. said...

It looks great! You are so talented :)

Janiece said...

It is darn cute!
I am proud of you for perservering and figuring it out.
Love ya!

Lene said...

So stinkin' cute!

Get it...stinkin'...it's diapers...so so funny...I am going to go continue laughing now

Anonymous said...

Today we had a baby shower for my daughter and my husband made the diaper monkey and it was the cutest thing ever. Thank you so much.

Tracie Brackett